Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Review: Organic Surge Moisture Boost Shampoo and Conditioner

I always tell myself that I'm really going to write regularly. Not that I keep busy and all, just plain lazy. I mean who else has a 5 day week which comprises of at least 2 whole free days at work where I embarrass myself by Facebook-ing all day long and yet, not write a single para! Yes, that’s me. But *pretty please*, let bygones be bygones. So here’s my first review on the blog.

It’s the Organic Surge Moisture Boost Shampoo and Conditioner.
Organic Surge Moisture Boost Shampoo and Conditioner
 The thing is that I have terribly dry hair, like the monstrous frizz ball variety! So I have to be rather diligent about oiling them before every wash. But to add to my woes, my scalp is insanely oily! And the oiling causes dandruff and itching later L Do you see what I have to deal with every day? Phew!

Hence I’m always on the lookout for good moisturizing shampoos. On my regular and infamous online window shopping escapades, I've noticed this smart tube of shampoo from Organic Surge. I really wanted to try it out since it said moisturizing AND organic. It claims to be “your hair’s best friend”. What more could I ask? But the asking price was a little more than I wanted to shell out so it always remained on my wish-list.
It so happened that I had mentioned about Organic Surge and wanting their Moisture Boost range to my brother once and surprise surprise, he sent them to me (with some other pretty cool stuff) Now its weird getting toiletries from your bro but wasn't it sweet that he remembered? Thank you B J

The package arrived via Flipkart and since it was a gift, they had wrapped it in a pretty paper and since it’s raining here in Bangalore, they had covered it in a plastic wrap as well. Other than that it was the standard cardboard and bubble-wrap packaging.

The first surprise that I got was that Organic Surge is actually a brand from the house of Lord and Berry. I knew of Lord and Berry cosmetics but didn’t know that they have diversified into toiletries too. Organic Surge claims to be an ethical and conscious brand. That means no parabens or SLS or animal testing.
On to the product now.
Organic Surge Moisture Boost Shampoo 
The shampoo comes in a convenient tube packaging. The product itself is surprisingly thin in consistency considering that this is a shampoo.  Since I am the oil-before-shampoo kind of girl, I usually like my shampoo to lather well because otherwise I never know if the oil has been washed off. Although the text on the tube claimed that this is a light lathering shampoo, which I hadn't read before the first use, I had to pour out the shampoo some four times before I even got the semblance of foam. For a shampoo as expensive as this, this is not a desirable feature.


The smell is nothing to write home about. When I tried to whiff from the tube, it was just some very subtle fragrance. And even after the four applications of the product, when I undid my towel, my hair reeked of the Amla hair oil I had used.



 For full list of ingredients check below:

Organic Surge Moisture Boost Shampoo ingredients
The shampoo claims to boost moisture retention, restoring silkiness and manageability. Sadly none of this happened to me.
Organic Surge Moisture Boost Conditioner

The conditioner on the other hand has a more generous consistency. The standard white, slimy, thick texture. Thankfully, the conditioner seems to spread easily so I haven't had to use a lot of it.

But what I absolutely hate about the conditioner is its smell. It’s smell is way stronger than that of the shampoo and not in a good way. The first thing that came to mind when the smell hit my nostrils was whey protein! I don’t know why though. I doubt I've sniffed whey protein ever! But to put it more simply, remember the projects we did back in school, one which involved growing wheat. The conditioner smells exactly like how the wheat would smell when gone bad due to excessive watering. Get my drift? Yes, that bad. 


 For full list of ingredients check below:


I have used the shampoo and conditioner for a month now but haven’t noticed any significant ‘moisture boost’ in my hair. I still have to oil before shampooing to reduce the frizz. The ends of my hair which are the curliest/waviest do look pretty on day 1 but my second day hair have a lot of fly-away.

Rating: C

Price: Shampoo- INR 625 for 250 ml, Conditioner- INR 625 for 200 ml
You can get it on Flipkart or Urbantouch for INR 500 each.

Recommendations: All in all I am not very happy with the products. For the cost and promise, they aren't very good. My earlier Dove shampoo was no different than this one. This is of course, unless I see some drastic change with another month’s usage of the Organic Surge Moisture Boost shampoo and conditioner. If you have dry hair, it doesn't tame the frizz and if you have oily hair, it won't give you the squeaky clean feel.

So my hunt for a good shampoo for dry, frizzy hair continues. Best friends, like they claim to be, should behave better but then again, best friends don’t quit on each other. So I’m planning on at least going through these tubes for now, though I am also now looking at John Frieda’s Frizz-ease and TIGI. Next time lucky, maybe?

*Amla-Gooseberry

4 comments:

  1. Do you know where we can find them in Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the Organic Surge products are available in stores in India yet but they can be easily purchased at a lot of online stores. There's koovs, purplle, healthkart, 365gorgeous etc

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for your review. My hair-type is exactly like yours but the scalp keeps changing, for some reason. I don't know exactly why!!!!!!! Painful....I know. I was very confused if I should buy this shampoo or not. Your review helped me to make a clear decision. Thanks for that! And a small tip. Since you have dry hair, try and avoid products with alcohol in them. It can increase the dryness!!! Well in my case they definitely increase the dryness. Just a tip. Check-out for yourself. I am using Aroma Magic Aloe-Vera Cream Shampoo. Nothing much to go ga-ga about it. But then I have come to believe that there is yet a shampoo to come out which can make dry hair manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice organic product and hope it will in market. really want to use it.
    organic shampoo and conditioner review

    ReplyDelete